Friday, July 15, 2011

words with dark pictures

Feeling Gravity, Cyanotype, 2003
Halfway through the residency as of yesterday. I spent a good bit of the last few days preparing a talk for Cynthia Fowler's Contemporary Art and Artistic Practice class. My talk was perhaps a bit light on the Artistic Practice and heavy on "who's work I like to look at" and a survey of my own work. and it was long, at least an hour and a half without a break. In cobbling together the presentation, I rediscovered a bit of my own work and what I love about this medium. I also am kicking my self for not making the images lighter for the projector in the lecture room. I knew they were going to be too dark. Another project on the table.

and the strange green bell pepper allusion. Why did I bring that up?  If you want the context "Cyanotypes are the green bell peppers of the photography world." I wonder what color the subject of Weston's Pepper No. 30 was.

Autobiography is present in some degree in all of my projects either as a documentation of where I live or a fictional construction utilizing pieces of my identity.

The Forces of Nature and from walking projects are far enough along that I can begin to see long term and more recent "concerns" in my own life that are shaping the choice of subject matter.
Finally, gravity. I may have posted this last week. If so it would be called something like grave matters. Gravity makes a recurring appearance in all of my projects. Am I too late to propose a residency on board the International Space Station?

No comments: