Saturday, July 9, 2011

I remember the first time…

An overheard statement, incomplete, on my way to the rose garden behind the MFA yesterday morning, “I remember the first time…” Probably “I remember the first time I came to the rose garden” said by one gentleman, perhaps in his mid sixties to his companion. It is unlikely they will remember this day, the first time they saw someone in a public rose garden gleaning rose petals on the ground in between rain showers.

Today’s studio time was split up amongst various tasks, a video interview, cutting negatives down to print in the contact frame, tearing down paper, breaking up rose petals for their pigment, collecting the suspension, suspending blackout material around the overhead fluorescents that I can’t find the on / off switch for, coating Vandyke brown on paper, exposing VDB and putting a second coat of rose petal suspension onto the kozo paper I coated the day before yesterday. Now I have an idea of which I can’t let go. It is very possible to do multiple coats of flower pigment on this paper. The density builds up (slowly) so I should be able to layer enough coats from a yellow flower to get a strong enough of a contrast in a print. In other words, I think I can make a yellow anthotype. Might be from Black-eyed Susans or it might be from yellow roses. Check back.

No comments: