Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gleaners of the Rose Garden


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to work with our student assistant at Emmanuel College, Lauren Nauman. She has been working primarily with the 3-D artists of the residency, Drew Ippoliti and Darien Johnson, so today I wanted to get her out of the studio. We ended up going to the rose garden in the fens behind the Museum of Art. A bit hot to be gleaning rose petals at 12 noon, so we only spent 15 minutes there collecting what we could.

Even though I brought the camera to the rose garden, I neglected to take pictures. Blame it on the heat. In the future I will be sure to get documentation of myself or Lauren in the act of gleaning.

Returning to the studio, we began separating the freshest petals, the ones with the highest moisture content, from those a bit too dried out. Half the petals are getting the freezer treatment to break them up and create the emulsion; the other half we went about grinding up with tap water and our mortar and pestles.

No comments: