Sunday, June 5, 2011

In Progress

Fortunately the severe weather and flooding effecting much of the U.S. has only been a minor inconvenience here in Dayton. We have had a lot of rain this year which translates to a bit of water in the basement which is where I do most of my work. I have always thought that my work was immune to the vagaries of humidity often blaming the poor quality of prints on the water supply or old chemistry. This spring has been a learning experience. I now know that when the relative humidity climbs into the 70 or 80 percent range, it is pointless to coat and print paper. In a couple of days I'll upload two versions of "Apple" ( I wish I had a more romantic name) that were printed at 80% RH and one from two days ago printed at about 65% RH.

Besides the weather, my NuArc 26 1K plate burner has been a bit unpredictable, sometimes taking 2 hours to ignite the bulb. Perhaps it is the basement sending me signals that I need to clean up the office upstairs with all the piles of old and new Polaroid and Impossible Project photographs I have been scanning.

In progress. This week I will give this image the vandyke brown treatment, possibly outside or inside depending upon the NuArc and the weather outside.



From my walks this week, mulberries are on the ground. Possible anthotype pigment and the Catalpa trees are dropping their white flowers. It's already one time around the sun since I created that image!

Ten days until Boston. What kind of work will I be making there?

No comments: