Saturday, March 31, 2012

Next stop, sewing lessons



My best laid plans of blogging while in Houston never materialized. As a backup, I planned on writing when I got back to Ohio which was Sunday. There was a lot of work to catch up on, mostly writing lectures and grading projects and papers.

So here it is Saturday, with plenty to do, no idea where to start and a blog I haven't attended to.
Without re-hashing every meeting, with all of the good and the bad. I want to condense it all into a sense of direction. I got to re-visit Dr. Frangst and by re-visit I mean reacquaint. I had to discuss work I really haven't talked about in a few years and I was forced to think about where the project ended. Getting reacquainted with a project means thinking about what worked and didn't work. It also means after a few years of water under the bridge, finding a way to reconnect with the project.

The last image I did was of Dr. Frangst hold a "baby" tree trunk rescued from my neighborhood. It really was a homage to the Jan Svankmajer film "Little Otik" (image one) in which a childless couple raises a ravenous tree stump as their offspring. I don't think it was a misdirection but rather a mis-edit for the project. The last really successful image is Dr. Frangst in the Gingko Photogram coat. This is where I think I can re-enter the project.



Creating more of these photogram leaf coats and wearing them in the Ohio landscape. Additionally, the lab coats themselves will become photographic objects that I will display.

This means teaching myself how to sew (maybe having Bridgette give me some lessons and getting her sewing machine repaired) because I am going to be using a sewing pattern to create pieces of coats which will be exposed and processed in the cyanotype process.



Next up yellow and purple together in the anthotype process.

No comments: