Saturday, August 20, 2011

the grass is greener on the other anthotype

Last night Bridgette and I got back into the big D (Dayton) after an art pickup detour in Columbus. It's all a blur from trying to get onto I-90 from the Fenway in Boston (my rudimentary navigating skills) to finding a motel in Bath, NY to the truck accident traffic 90 miles north of Columbus. We did get a chance today to visit the members show at DVAC on its last day. David Crowell's framing of "Apple" looked fantabulous especially the cream color of the support to which he floated the image. If I didn't say it before, I wouldn't have been in that exhibition if it hadn't been for the dogged effort of Bridgette convincing me to enter a piece, taking it to Custom Frame Services, and carting it over to DVAC (twice).

A couple of days ago I hinted at a discussion of the grass anthotypes or a least some better images of the two I made. I still need to properly light and document these pieces but below are the initial attempts at documentation. The first image is the grass emulsion brushed onto a cold press, heavy weight paper from Marco's dollar annex. I did push the exposure a bit far so it really reads as a ghost of an image, more drawing than photograph. The anthotype is of a Victorian sleeping dress.


The second grass anthotype was made by pressing wet clumps of grass (poultice) onto the paper. It is a contemporary mens' pajama top.

No comments: