Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chance Does Not Favor the Unprepared Anthotypist


Today's report from Emmanuel College is bitter sweet (mostly bitter). I have been working with a purple flower emulsion obtained from an annual flower planted around campus (that's the sweet part; it is a really beautiful pigment) which I decided to combine with a botanical positive transparency of the actual flower. The paper I coated represents about 8 coats on a 16 x 20 sheet of paper (which used up about 100 cc of purple solution). A brief downpour while I was making green chile enchiladas for the artist dinner (my turn to cook) caused a bit of water to reach the paper inside a 16 x 20 picture frame and destroy the negative. I am attempting to recoat the paper to minimize the water marks but the negative will have to be reprinted. There was a barely visible trace of the anthotype image on the paper when I took the picture out of the frame to ascertain the amount of water damage. I am out of purple so it will have to be some of the red rose petal emulsion on top of the purple. More purple emulsion could be made but I am running out of days with which to make my exposures here in Boston.
I'll sleep on it. Pictures of the little tragedy and how my decision may have made things worse tomorrow.

No comments: