Wednesday, July 7, 2010

visiting with old friends


Talk about things that don't get talked about when one is talking with someone about art. On the list of many things about being an artist that isn't "fun". Imagine cleaning out your basement and visiting a therapist. Now mix the two and you have "revisiting old work" or in the case of the self-portraits, "visiting with old friends".

I was pulling stuff up from the basement to show Kay Koeninger for a future exhibit on portraits. Don't get me wrong. I love the work from my thesis exhibition. How could Narcissus not love his own reflection? I don't love how I've stored the work (it's big for how I work). There's old artist tape and velcro sticking to the velcro not meant to be in contact. I was an installation artist in 2002. Now, I think I'm a mat and frame artist.

So I will be spending some time this week with old friends, trying to figure out who will be going to the Riffe gallery in late January and how exactly an installation in 2002 will translate, in part, to a new space in 2010.

No comments: